Welcome back everybody! Another big update for you all. There pretty much hasn't been a single day I haven't been painting since last we spoke. Continuously updating on twitter @3dgreg, and trying to get this army to a decent standard before Nova! Lets see, where did we leave off! The bigger dreads!
When I first started chipping the big guys, I Was very disappointed. I think it was because I was seeing patterns which didn't actually exist. When you spend so much time chipping, you tend to become hyper focused on a particular area, and can tend to get a wee upset when it doesn't chip the way you wanted. After a good week of doing all the dreads, I'm much happier with how they look now. The one that that is particularly exiting about the chipping process, is how the under layers vary the chip tones, so you get a lot of interest on the model.
The FW dreads came out quite differently, as they do not have much in the way of flat surfaces. They couldn't be more random if I tried. One thing to keep in mind, though I am moving all the dreads along the "progress" bar at the same time...eventually I will be going back and bringing out the metallics, adding washes, enamels, weathering powders, spots of color. This is just another step in a VERY long process.
My 1k list had a battlewagon. Oh oh. My battle wagon doesn't look anything like the rest of the army. So I added it into the queue. Same setup as the other dreads, with a bit more taping. Turned out wonderfully! I do find that as time goes on, the chips are a bit spotty, but then I figure that is perfect...it's being chipped by continuous bullet fire! Bit of a spoiler, because you can see the second display board done!
The cool thing about the crackle paste...is you can't possibly replicate a previous board, no matter what you do. The cracks are their own beast, and decide when and where to travel. I think it was a bit thicker this time (used half a gallon instead of 3/4), which made the cracks a bit softer on the surface. This actually works pretty awesome, as the lower display will be having the bikes on it, and their bases have track marks in them, so makes sense the wetter board for them!
I had to take a break from the dreads and the displays. So I jumped into that bust I showed you guys the other week. Oh boy was this an absolute joy to paint. First off, I had a new paintbrush I got at adepticon that I hadn't used yet, and it was flawless. Second...this is probably my best detail work yet. Everything worked together really well. I can't quite get the lenses right at the moment, as I need an even smaller brush, as no matter how hard i tried, I kept going off the lines. Either way, I felt it came out really awesome!
Very very very pleased with this guy. Even zoomed in he looks awesome. I was so pleased, I was able to have a massive push for the dreads.
I batched, and I batched, and I batched...until the entire dining room was full of dinner plates. (I like to use the plates to separate my work flow. Everything moves from plate to plate to keep things neat and tiny and organized. When the plates disappear, I'm doing awesome!
And here we have it. But it's not done yet. Not even close! The bulk of the work is done, but you will notice I'm missing a ton of crew and troops. That's right, now it's back to the brush to wash about 30 orks, bikes, and guns! (Plus all the dreads need metallics!). Ton of work left, but at least it's look proper awesome! At this point I'm going to stop for right now, as I still have another dozen or so images of what I've done in the past two days (I have not stopped painting, i don't know how John keeps this up!). I hope you guys like the progess so far, as I am so pleased to finally have an actual painted ork army! Thanks for reading and all your constant encouragement. I couldn't have done it without the community pushing me and giving me feedback and wonderful encouragement! Thank you all so much!