Welcome back my friends! Yet another week, and yet another batch of orks painted. You'd think I was Mordain7th over there!
First up, the squad of choppa boyz. This brings me up to 40 painted. (20 to go!). I'm having Sophie over at Hobbyistgirl clean them up for me (I don't want to screw up my wrists again this close to the end). Hopefully should have those early next week! Thought part of me has been toying with just running two battle wagons full of boyz, which seem to be hitting just as hard, and really speed up the game. Sharp eyed folks will also notice a gorkamorka nob leading the group! Really pleased with how he came out. The last iteration of paint on him was horrid by comparison :). All these boyz still need to be based, varnished, metallic highlights, and powders. So they will get a few more bits of flare before they are truly done. (I wait till they are on the bases to varnish them, and the bases are on the way!)
Since I am waiting for the next batch of boyz, I've started working on the dreads. Some of you may know, I was painting at the very last second last year at nova. This year I started WAY early to try and get as much done as possible. Part of that plan was bringing the rest of the dreads to the same quality level as the orky knights. One of the first steps in this process is to give the new dreads the enamel wash the knights got, which really pops out the little chips and cracks in all the flaking paints. After that, I matched the dakkajet style, and started adding some verdigris weathering around some of the chips. Makes zero sense, but hey its ork, and it helps add some much needed contrast and breaks to the model.
Then some matte varnish to take the sheen away from the wash, and dull down the previous metallics. Next step is going in and manually adding hundreds of chips across the model, both to add interest, contrast, and also make the metallics appear even darker. Lastly, I added powder to the guns and the bottom of the model to integrate it more with the base. The gems also got a rework using the new technical paint. Not the biggest fan, but i think that is the fault of all the layers of paint distorting the effect!
This zoomed in shot really shows the effect of all these extra layers on every inch of the model.
Mmm...such lovely texture on that rust!!! :)
And some lightbox shots for your enjoyment! Can see the chips at work, all the layers, a much more finished dread now! And yes I might add some checks at some point in the future, but not this time. (I still have a lot of stuff to do!).
Next up, the battlewagon banana! Thanks for stopping by everyone! Hope your projects are going smoothly!