In the past, I always just picked up a small jar or two but I figured that it was time that I made some mead with something a bit more special than Costco honey. It wasn't too much more (killer bee = $5/lb., Costco = $3.50/lb.) so I pulled the trigger. That being said, I figured that I should follow suit with the yeast and get some actual brewing yeast instead of whatever the super market had. I belong to a mead group on Facebook, so I asked for some advice in that arena. Three different types were suggested for a high alcohol brew: Lalvin ICV-D47, 71B-1122 and K1-V1116.
This will only be my second traditional mead (only honey, water and yeast). The first one fermented close to 100% and was definitely jet fuel for a while. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference "proper" materials make in the long run. I still need to clean my jugs and whatnot from my last batch, but I hope to start this new experiment before the end of October. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the extra money, time and effort pay off.