This year was really good and I hope whoever took charge of organization and making sure our gripes from last year were heard needs a beer and a good break. While every year seems to get better this one took the cake in organization. The only big downfall wasn't Magfests fault but rather the Gaylord itself when they booked over 100 rooms and then had to back track and put those people into a hotel 20 minutes away. Hopefully this wont happen again since the Gaylord has been pretty good to this conference every year.
The layout was done a bit clearer and the rooms were better situated. They still had the annoying one exit deal between four large rooms but crossing my fingers they may hear us out finally this year and fix it next year. The map was more clearly marked and nicely designed and the communication between the volunteers was a bit better. There were a few hiccups involving food and drink but it didn't really affect me personally that much. I tossed everything in my bag and got into concerts fine with my drinks in my nalgene. I wasn't bothered once I got inside though I also didn't act like a crazy drunk so that may have helped.
- Try to pick up your badges the day before it starts. They usually start the evening before and go 24 hours after that but to skip the lines go early or go late at night.
- The Gaylord has mini fridges in their room so bring sandwich fixings for a midnight snack or bad weather/long lines etc. I also bring premade coffee so I dont have to worry about the lines in the AM.
- We also bring a lot of snacks and drinks so we don't have to worry about the crazy prices. We'll still buy some drinks/food but we skip a few meals and extra costs by walking around with our own. We're also polite about when and how we eat/drink during Magfest so we don't worry much about being chased down by the Volunteers.
- Bring some cash. The dealers room usually takes Credit Cards but the wifi in the place can suck. So instead of waiting to be able to connect or having to come back later you can hand over some money and be good to go.
- Hand Sanitizer! - we usually walk around with a bottle in our pocket. Any game console I touch I use some. I also carry hand lotion because this will dry the shit out of your skin but I think it's better then getting the MagFlu.
- I can understand if you're staying with a group of people you may not want to do this.. but the express check out is a wonderful feature if you are staying along. It cuts back on the front desk lines and you don't stand there forever waiting to get your stuff to your car before coming back for the rest of the day.
- Have a damned good time. You're at MagFest!