The instructions also don't make logical sense. They want you to put the feet together almost near the end of the build, but the way the skirt of the model fits over the base, it makes it impossible to "glue and forget" without assembling the feet first. Something else they don't really mention, is that the entire model leans forward about 10-15 degrees, and if you don't build it on the feet, you might line up magnets, limbs, and other parts incorrectly (for posing purposes) not knowing it's going to be leaning forward! So as you can imagine, I put the feet together first. I used Macathu's necron lord for scale purposes...just to let the FYN guys know just how big the stompa was!
With the feet properly attached to the base, I can now glue the skirt on. You can see almost immediately (especially in the first photo), how tilted the stompa is when it's glued onto the feet. Each of these sections went together pretty well, but boy was there a lot of cleaning up of sprues and mouldlines! You'll also notice I started drilling pilot holes for magnets. I want the arms, head, banners, smokestacks...all magnetized for transport.
Decided to cheat at this stage. I dropped a batch of magnets down the center stack, and it created enough of a magnetic pull through the plastic to hold it in place. Not enough if you start shaking the stompa, but enough for picking it up and moving it around. Later when I realize there is an entire gangplank that attaches to this, I'll need to actually drill and mount a second magnet!
Next I started on the other portable sections. The head and smokestacks were working well, so I started testing the fitment on the arms. This proved immediately troublesome. I had been hoping that four smaller magnets could hold the arms in place. This is impossible. The arms are quite heavy (weight of a smaller dread!). I had to re-drill, and remove the old magnets, and replace them with much larger pieces!